Followers

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Life-changing

So today you get to see things through my eyes.
See, I don't see things the way that many
people see things.
I can't.
At least without my glasses.
(You know the things that I have worn
on my face for as long as I can remember?)
Well just in case you don't know
these are my glasses



















Well technically it is what I look like
with my glasses.
But then you already knew that...
Right? ;)
Ok so just stay with me.
So I am sure you are wondering
how I see differently.
Well, here is an example.
This is what I (with my glasses on)
and any other person that has normal vision
would see looking across the room:












(Photo is from our family Thanksgiving 2009.
L-R: Grandma Case, Grandpa Vincent and Jen)
Now that is really not anything out of the ordinary.
And I am able to see them just as clearly across
the room as long as I have my glasses on
(are you catching the theme in this post?).
Just to give you a glimpse of what I see
without my glasses on
I played around with that same photo.
Here is a glimpse of the world
through my eyes:













That is what I see
(But just blur it a bit more and change
the lighting quite a bit more).
When I wake up in the morning.
When I go swimming.
When I drop my glasses.
When I lose my glasses.
It is so bad that I can not
recognize people I have known all
my life three feet away.
With out my glasses I am almost
legally blind.
I have to be led around by the hand
when I am in surroundings that are not
familiar.
I remember before I got my glasses going
to a Bible Club. They were watching a movie
and I could not see a thing.
I just sat there and
tried to pick up the little
bits and pieces I could from listening.
Needless to say.
I am VERY THANKFUL
for my glasses.
They have changed my life.

But they will not be for much longer.
BECAUSE on January 19th
I will be going on a
drive with my Dad.
We will be going across
the border to Canada
.
Once in Canada we will be
there for most of the day.

What will we be doing?
I am glad you asked :)

I am getting the Lasik Surgery
for my eyes by one of the most respected
doctors in the field!

This has been a life long dream
for my Mom and we can not believe
that in the space of about three
weeks that dream will come true and
for the first time in my life
I will be able to
SEE WITHOUT MY GLASSES!

I am so in awe of the Lord!
I am so thankful to Him!
The ironic part is the the post-operation
stuff will take about three hours but
the operation itself will take 30ish seconds.
Another neat thing is that
IT IS COMPLETELY PAIN FREE!
I know many many people who have had this
procedure done and one of them told my Mom
that the most uncomfortable part of the entire
operation is when they tape your eyes open
so you are not blinking.
There will be about a six month period after
the surgery where my eyes will be really
dry and I will have to have medicated
eye drops BUT that is a SMALL price
to pay for being able to
SEE WITHOUT MY GLASSES!
*insert girly squeal of joy here*
So at the beginning of the long
and rambling post I shared a
picture of what I look like
now but in 28 days this is what I
will start looking like:



















That is what I will look like.
FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!
I think it will take a little
bit getting used to
my new face (in a manner of speaking),
even looking at that picture is like
looking at a stranger
but I am sure I will adjust quick!
I think that for the first few months
when I wake up I will reach for my glasses
only to realize that
I DO NOT HAVE THEM ANYMORE
but I am sure I will adjust quick to that too! :)
I am so in awe of my God!
I am so thankful that He made this possible!
He is so good! :)
Please pray as there is a slight risk involved
just that all would go well and that
in it all Christ would be glorified.
He is so worthy!
He is so good...

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWW!! That's awesome Katy!! I'm so excited for you!! I've only had glasses for 2 years and I can't imagine not having them...so I'm sure it is going to be strange for you to get used to. But a good strange!! <3
Love you!

Emily said...

Oh my word girl!!! That's soo cool, I've had my glasses for about 9 years now, and I have no idea what I would do without them. I need them for everything and I hate when I go swimming how I can't see anyone unless they're like nose to nose with me lol. I'll be praying for you, and I'm so excited for you!!! <3

I LOVE YOU!

Princess0479 said...

Ms. DEAR Katy!!!
I am so so excited for you, it seems like your story mirros my own, my eyes are bad really bad without glasses, i have astigmatism (sp?) and ketaraconus, that is when the cone in the eye larger than it should be, well can you believe this????
Do you remember late August i was gone from facebook for 1-2 weeks?
Guess where i was back then?

In Canada too! i did not get lasek surgery, i got cross linking study, which is a very intricate procedure specifically for my problem...!!! very expensive to say the least but so worth it..each eye was like $2,200..almost $5,000...but to see better that money was worth it..the sad thing is this..I will still be wearing glasses even after this surgery, BUT with glasses i will see sharper, better, and closer than ever BEFORE!!
And the progression of this problem ketraconus will not progress or get worse..In some cases it even gets better..So if i get lucky maybe i won't have to wear glasses awhile from now..though that's just my hope :))

In these 4 months, my eye vision has improved in both eyes, in right eye the most but i'll take what i can get :)) God is so awesome!!

i am just curious..where in Canada and what hospital or institute are you this getting done in?
Because i got mine done in Montreal..wouldn't it be funny if we got it done in the same place?? LOL :)

i miss you doll..tell me how have you been lately??
how is your new BF?

well talk soon hun!

Blessings & HUGS!

In His Love, Jane

Kristen said...

I am so excited for you! That's Benjamin's birthday! I will keep your procedure in my prayers though!

Love,
Kristen

EL said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Can't wait to see/hear how the surgery/drive goes! God bless,
~Esther

Anonymous said...

I am SOOOO excited for you! It must be awesome to suddenly know you're going to be able to live without glasses! Oh, I'm so happy!!! :D
You are beautiful, did you know that? =)

Lindsay said...

Oh, I bet that's so excting, Katy!! I will be praying that everything goes well!

~Love & Blessings,
Lindsay

Bekah said...

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Bekah

Sara Fleming said...

i am so happy for you Katie! :) but remember, even if you weren't blessed with this surgery, you just as GORGEOUS with the glasses as without...you're a princess of the King! God bless you and Merry Christmas :)

Sarah said...

wow that sounds awesome! i wear glasses too (without them i can't see my fingers held at arm's width. i'll be praying for you! :)

Sarah said...

oh and for the record i think you look just as beautiful with as without your glasses! just had to add that as your sister in Christ

~Amy Thomson~ said...

Wow, that's awesome Katy!! Haha, I've had glasses since I was 10, I think, and I'm 14 now! But hopefully, I'll get contacts next year, we'll have to see. I really don't mind glasses, but it's very irritating when they get scratched after awhile and then they get dirty...I think I clean my glasses, like, 5 times a day! SO irritating! But what can I do...both my parents are shortsighted, so I guess that just makes it worst for me! The Optomitrist says my eyesight will stop changing by the time I'm 20...yiiiikes!! Oh well...;)

In Christ,

Amy

Extreme Teen said...

now we wont recognize you without the glasses! and i cant call you four eyes anymore... come to think of it i never have called you that... but ill make sure i do sometime while i still have the chance ;) lol

Scott Paris said...

I just got used to the Katy with glasses! Oh, well! I suppose that having no glasses is cool too. Viva la Glasses!

Anonymous said...

I'm so super happy for you, Katy dear. May God bless your operation, and may all go smoothly!

Christ's blessings,
Shelby

Shelby Thomas said...

That last comment was mine. I'm not sure why it says "anonymous." =)