Followers

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What are your thoughts on modesty?

I posted this on my facebook a few days ago and thought I would ask my readers for their thoughts :)

"Ok girls so what are some thoughts on modesty? What are some areas that are super easy to compromise as Christians when it does come to modesty? Why do we think (even as Christians) that we need to show ourselves off in order to be someone or something? Thoughts?"

Some thoughts from my friends of facebook were these:
"I think it's very easy to compromise when we're at certain events. (formal events, swimming, etc) Somehow, we forget that if something would cause a brother to stumble, being at a wedding or next to a pool will not magically make it modest. I'm thankful to have brothers who remind me of this."
"I think just because you "have it" doesn't mean to flaunt it. Now I also don't think you need to dress in floor length skirts and up to the chin shirts. Really seek the Lord about it and think about if you would want your future husband looking at someone who dresses like you. Puts it in perspective for sure."
  • A lady named Carol said:
"A rich Texan looking for a dress for his wife after seeing many selections and turning them all down said to the clerk" My wife is like my money i n the bank , I don't have to see it to know it's there." Simple Huh?"

So what are your thoughts? :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My thought is that the "brother" has to take some responsibility for his thoughts/actions/stumbles instead of leaving it all up to the woman. Men are able to control themselves.

I hate to tell you this, but short of wrapping yourself in plastic wrap so that nobody can see your bumps, curves, skin, etc, there will always be men looking at you. In Victorian times women were covered from head to toe, and because of that men could get aroused looking at an ankle.

So dress how you'd like, in whatever makes you comfortable. Because you cannot control what a man thinks, covered up or not.

Rachel said...

Overall, men are quite visual. I agree that you do not have to wear long skirts everyday and all in respect to my dear friends who do, love them dearly. I believe that it is a heart issue in itself. If it is trying to wear a shirt that you love that does show when you bend over or when you put your hands up, find a reasonable priced camisole (DownEast Basics has a reasonable priced and cute selection of colored camis you can purchase):)
And for me personally, I am not a young woman who does wear skirts everyday, but I understand and agree with modesty and doing all I can as a sister (in Christ) to dress cute yet modest!
Like I said (and I do not want this to become a long comment, sorry Kat!)but modesty for women is a heart issue and what I mean by that is, they need to understand how much they are loved and appreciated and the attention they already have by their Heavenly Father... :)
God's blessings and love to you all,
Rachel

Rachael said...

I love the idea that modesty is more than clothing... and I wonder if it's that which we compromise more on than what we wear....
I think our thought life and our heart's desires are what we need to focus on most, making pure, gentle and modest... and from that should (if we are thinking and living Biblically, from His revelation to us) present ourselves in garments pleasing to Him and to others. Just because something is 'modest' doesn't mean it has to be frumpy, as some other girls have said... It's a God beauty reflected in fabric - just as our speech is God beauty in words, our thoughts God beauty in imagination and our actions God beauty in practicality.

Blessings! Thank you for making us think and discuss this :)

Rachael
heldbyhishand.blogspot.com

P.S. I do somewhat agree with anonymous (first comment) that perhaps we focus too much sometimes on modesty in girls, whereas modesty of thoughts and heart is a global concept - it's something the guys need to get in on too.... I do suppose it comes under 'purity' somewhat, but maybe that is a topic for another time?...

Marli said...

Love this post. I really like what Carol had to say....

Carilyn said...

I actually did a post recently on modesty on my blog, so I'll try to keep this fairly short. While I see the point that Anonymous above is making, I do not agree because we still need to cover up those areas that are specifically private. If a man is 'aroused' by an ankle (which is not specifically designated as private), at least we have done our job and covered the parts of our body that are private. From that point on, we are not responsible (unless of course we act inappropriately). But, if he is 'aroused' by seeing cleavage or something of that sort, it is our fault in part, because we did not do as God commanded and cover up.

I believe that modesty is just as important at a pool or wedding as it is in everyday life.

mexicobound said...

I think it is important to cover up those areas like Carrie said. Just 'cause we have it doesn't mean we flaunt it for the world to see. That's specifically meant for your husband. It is also a stumbling block for guys who have to look at cleavage hanging out or whatever. I do agree that guys need to control themselves but it is also our responsibility as their sisters in Christ (or even if they aren't in Christ) to cover up appropriate areas.

HIS daughter said...

Awesome thoughts ladies :) I will be doing a post with some thoughts on this Lord willing soon :)

And I definitely do agree that a man is responsible for his thoughts and his actions however because they are so visual should we not make an effort to make it a little bit easier for them? I am not even talking just about the clothes we wear but even in the way we carry ourselvs.

What are we trying to draw attention to?

Just some more thoughts to see what you ladies think :)

Rachael said...

I agree, Katy. :) Ah, it frustrates me that I find it hard to express what I am really thinking, succinctly and accurately.

I agree, that as far as not being a stumbling block, it's a joint effort for guys and girls... I think we should be doing all we can to reflect Christ and encourage purity in our men, at the same time encouraging them to honour, purity and modesty too.

It's so true, the question you asked... what are we trying to draw attention to? To ourselves? Our sensuality or figure? To our personality? To Christ? Ultimately that should be the goal of all we do... no exceptions...

I wonder if maybe, beyond that first, highest call, there are any further rules? If we are striving to glorify the Lord in all we do, what other expectations do we have to live up to? If we try to fulfil all the rules guidelines and expectations for modest dress that some suggest, then we will forever be changing this and that, and our focus may stray easily from our first love... this is why I sometimes am uneasy about communities that adhere to clothing guidelines - not that I think they are wrong, but that maybe sometimes we focus more on what we can/can't should/shouldn't wear than on pleasing Christ primarily...

Sorry for rambling - I'm going to reread this now, but I hope I'm not stepping out of line! Shush me if I ever do, will you Katy?

Thanks!
And blessings girls :)

Rachael
heldbyhishand.blogspot.com

P.S. Now, as I reread this all, I wonder if we are just trying to find the balance in between all these extremes... between it being all the guys and all the girls issue... between covering every bit of skin and flaunting as much as possible... pleasing men and being all caught up in opinions and pleasing God and becoming entirely caught up in Him... ah! Lord guide us... xx

Rebecca said...

Modesty starts in the heart, if you desire to flaunt yourself you will dress accordingly, if you just want attention you will dress to get attention.
If you want to and desire to keep yourself for only one man someday (your husband) then you will dress to protect yourself for him. Only your husband should enjoy "looking" and that is the best!!!!!