So many of my late posts have been about abortion. Some of them have been in answer to some comments that I have received which is what this post is about as well. I received a comment this morning that asked a question. The question was this:
"One thing that you did not address, though, are babies conceived through incest or rape. Would you support abortion in those cases? What about these types of pregnancies in minors? I feel so strongly that these are cases where abortion is justified and I adamantly oppose further legislation of abortion specifically for this reason. The progression of the pregnancy poses far more damage to the "mother" than destruction of the fetus, in my opinion. Would you be willing to expand your dialogue to these types of pregnancies? (or at least share the opinion of your "pregnancy center")"
I knew what my stand was about this but I thought that I would let these women speak for themselves. Please take the time to watch this video and see what women who got pregnant through rape have to say:
I found this video while browsing the internet looking for women's stories and found a website headed up by a woman named Rebecca Kiessling. Please visit her website here: RebeccaKiessling.com.
Not only is Rebecca a pro-life advocate but she is a child that was conceived by a rapist. One thing that she said in her personal testimony that really stuck me was this:
"Please understand that whenever you identify yourself as being “pro-choice,” or whenever you make that exception for rape, what that really translates into is you being able to stand before me, look me in the eye, and say to me, "I think your mother should have been able to abort you.” That’s a pretty powerful statement. I would never say anything like that to someone."
Go HERE to read the rest of her story.
"I think your Mother should have been able to abort you." Would we ever truly look some one in the face and say that!?! I do not believe we could conceive being that rude and hurtful to someone and yet, so many people are saying that today. Even some Christians have fallen for the lie straight from the devil that a rape or illness or whatever (fill in the blank) can some how justify knowingly taking another human being's life (even though that baby had absolutely no choice in the matter).
Rebecca also shared these insights (as a child that was spared an abortion):
"I’m so thankful my life was spared, but a lot of well-meaning Christians would say things to me like, ”Well you see, God really meant for you to be here!” Or others may say, "You were meant to be here." But I know that God intends for every unborn child to be given the same opportunity to be born, and I can’t sit contentedly saying, “Well, at least my life was spared.” Or, “I deserved it. Look what I’ve done with my life.” And millions of others didn’t? I can’t do that. Can you? Can you just sit there and say, “At least I was wanted . . . at least I’m alive” or just, “Whatever!”? Is that really the kind of person who you want to be? Cold-hearted? A facade of compassion on the exterior, but stone-cold and vacated from within? Do you claim to care about women but couldn't care less about me because I stand as a reminder of something you'd rather not face and that you'd hate for others to consider either? Do I not fit your agenda?
In law school, I’d also have classmates say things to me like, “Oh well! If you’d been aborted, you wouldn’t be here today, and you wouldn’t know the difference anyway, so what does it matter?” Believe it or not, some of the top pro-abortion philosophers use that same kind of argument: “The fetus never knows what hits him, so there’s no such fetus to miss his life.” So I guess as long as you stab someone in the back while he’s sleeping, then it’s okay, because he doesn’t know what hits him?! I’d explain to my classmates how their same logic would justify me killing you today, because you wouldn’t be here tomorrow, and you wouldn’t know the difference anyway, so what does it matter?" And they’d just stand there with their jaws dropped. It’s amazing what a little logic can do, when you really think this thing through -- like we were supposed to be doing in law school -- and consider what we’re really talking about: there are lives who are not here today because they were aborted. It’s like the old saying: “If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a noise?” Well, yeah! And if a baby is aborted, and no one else is around to know about it, does it matter? The answer is, YES! Their lives matter. My life matters. Your life matters and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise!"
Rebecca is not the only survivor from being conceived in rape. Here is another video that shares men and women's perspectives that were conceived in rape:
I asked my husband his thoughts and this is what he had to share:
Two wrongs do not make a right. To kill the innocent is never ok. Many people wish to be compassionate and perceive themselves to be compassionate yet they have fallen for the world's lie that just because a baby comes from a traumatic experience that the Mother will live the rest of their lives with negative feelings towards their child because of that. When, in reality, just like in the first video three women proved that wrong and many other women have also as well as .
A simple illustration about how pathetic the world's logic is concerning this is:
If a friend of yours attacks or breaks a law that hurts me in some way it is then justifiable for me to have you destroyed/killed just so I won't be reminded as often of the horrible thing that your friend did to me.
Pretty lame huh? And yet this is a lie that so many people believe!
This is proven not only in these videos but also in the stories of real life women and their children. Below is a link to multiple women's life stories who became pregnant by rape. Some on the positive side trusted God and chose to give their child a chance at life and were blessed through. Sadly, others chose to not trust God or were forced or bought into the lie that having an abortion would solve their problem. Tragically, it did not and these women who shared so candidly regret that decision to this day HOWEVER, God took that guilt and shame and gave them hope in and through Jesus Christ. Today all of these women are testimony to what God can do. And how truly, Jesus Christ can make beauty out of even the worst of ashes.
Please click HERE to go and read these amazing stories from both sides (you will have to scroll down).
This all together only leads to this: The Word of God is the only firm foundation. You can believe it and prove it right or you can not believe it and still prove it right meaning-the destruction of human life is never the only or right answer. Difficult situations will arise however even in these difficult situations destroying a innocent life will never solve the problem.
Is there hope after an abortion? Absolutely! Jesus Christ is that hope! And if anything is taken from this post I would pray it be this: whether or not you have been raped, molested, aborted a baby, been abused, and the list could go on and on-there is that hope in Jesus Christ!!!! And it is for each and every one of us! The Bible says: "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." Many people heave a sigh of relief and think well I am a good person. Whew. I have never murdered or committed adultery. I am not as bad as ___________ (fill in the blank). Yet, Jesus said if you look in lust you have committed adultery and that hating someone in your heart is the same as murder. That convicts me! We are all guilty with that kind of standard! None of us can live up to it! But that is ok. "God commended His love toward us in this-that while we were still sinners Christ DIED for us." (Rom. 5:8). He took that guilt! He took our shame! He took our sins on His shoulders. He paid our fine. He took our judgement! What glorious HOPE AND TRUTH IS IN THAT! And it is for everyone!
My prayer is that God's love and Word would reach all who do not know Him as their personal Savior. That they would realize that God can take ashes and make beauty out of them. Just like these women whose testimonies we heard about how God took a horrific situation and made something beautiful out of it-their child.











9 comments:
You wrote this so clearly, and gently.
And you are exactly right. I think Francine Rivers wrote a book on this topic...I believe.
Anyway, you are right on and you presented this in a well thought out manner.
Thank you so much Krysle. You are such an encouragement! And yes she did and I loved it I just can not remember the title! Arg. I think it was something like Redemption Child or something...
AMEN! Thank you for this post! I completely agree with every single point you made. Plus, you said it in such a..."duh" way, but yet not in a way that "all hope is lost"
LOVE!
Wow. This was really great. I used to be pro-choice, until I found the Lord. After that, although I considered myself pro-life, I still struggled with the rape/incest situation. You've really put that into perspective for me and helped me to make up my mind. Killing a child, born or unborn, is never right. I also love what you said about hope after abortion and that there is hope in Jesus Christ and that he took our guilt, our shame and our judgment. I appreciate the heartfelt thought you put into writing this. Thank you!
I agree with Kim that whether a baby is conceived through horrible circumstances or not, that baby is still a HUMAN BEING and deserves a chance at life. God knows the whys and hows and it isn't our place to play God. Love the post! I will be back to watch the videos when I have more time. :)
Katy, good for you for addressing such a difficult issue - I totally agree with you! The bottom line is that even though what happened to these women was awful, the baby is completely innocent, and ending an innocent life because of what happened is not only wrong, it will likely end up causing more pain. I just came across Rebecca's site the other day too, and it was so inspirational to read the stories of those who chose life even in the midst of a horrible situation!
What a beautiful blog! I think it's great that you are willing to say the hard things. You are a blessing to many!
Katy -- Thanks for giving your thoughts on this issue and being brave enough to spell out your beliefs.
We will agree to strongly disagree but I understand your perspective. And to address the article you quoted -- I certainly would feel comfortable telling someone "I think your mother should have been able to abort you." I think MY mother should have been able to abort me if she chose. I think it needs to be a choice. In many instances it is not the best choice, nevertheless it ought to be a choice.
Post a Comment